Monday, February 3, 2014

I don't know where this journey will end, but I know where it starts.

Brussels, I love you.

It happened so fast, at first lust, infatuation, and desire: being here has lived up to every expectation. Every little corned, street, area I explore, I'm absolutely fascinated and adore every second I am here. I already know I'll be heartbroken to leave.

What is most surprising to me is how happy I am. So happy. I can't emphasize this enough. You know when you start feeling like you're just trudging through life, watching yourself from a birds-eye view, going through the motions? Yea, that.... but the exact opposite. It was like as soon as I got here everything just warped into this entirely illuminated and spectacular world. Yes I know what you're thinking--this is because you're visiting, your traveling, it's your first time there it's different. It's temporary. You are so very correct. But who cares? I am enjoying my time so much, and I think that's how it should be right? You should just say yes, and feel awkward and uncomfortable and most importantly oblivious, that's all part of the adventure.

I say this now, because I'm not quite sure where I'll be the next time I write, but the next few months are going to be insane. If I'm bad at communicating--this is your warning. It's going to go by so fast so I'm trying by best to take a deep breath and enjoy while I can.

In case your wondering what the next months will hold here's a rough draft (my personal travel plans pending).

In this order Leuven, Antwerp, Ghent, Maastricht,Trier, Luxembourg, London, Paris, The Haage [Netherlands], Amsterdam, Berlin, The Balkans [really, I don't even know exactly where], Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Munich, Frankfurt.

So the middle of all that is a bit muddled and deeply optimistic... I should probably try to figure out how to work Dublin in there. Or Paris twice. I also probably missed a few, so don't think I'm a liar when I start blogging from somewhere in Poland or something. But like the title says, I'm not quite sure where this journey will end but I know where it will start (here in Brussels). I guess I lied again though because my flight is out of Frankfurt to go back to the states, so I do know where it ends... literally. I guess what I'm saying I don't know where I will be mentally/emotionally by the end of all of this. I really just wish it didn't have to end. Although I miss so much from home. I have a strange feeling this is just the beginning of something.

Any issues with the next many years of my life consisting of spontaneous travel and an AWOL Victoria please defer to my mom because she started it. Who knows maybe I can join her on her next adventure.

Back to the point. My friends here are brilliant. Truly, each and every person on the program is so unique and intellectual, interesting, and dynamic in their own way. They all have such passion and personalities, it's so nice to be able to have people here who understand exactly what you are feeling. Shout out to the little blonde you've likely been seeing in my pictures, Bethany, who's not only stunning but so incredibly kind, she is definitely my partner in crime, also we're dating. Yes I know it's less of an "immersion" but it's perfect. And, I'm learning so much, our classes are going full speed ahead (AKA two hour econ lectures that I'm having to re-read over and over) and I truly did not expect to be this invested and interested in the political workings of the EU... Council, Commission, Parliament, and wait for it LAW. That was for you Alex, incase you couldn't tell. <3

Food update, I love beer. But really it's great. I'm teasing. Am I? My host family cooks the most incredible food for me I don't even know how to describe it--it's just the best food always. I have been so welcomed here and am so happy to be here.

So, thank you for taking the time to read me rant, if you've gotten this far you likely love me and are a wonderful individual and I'm likely missing you right now. I will try to post again soon. So much love from Brussels.

I leave you off with a photo of the quite and delightful commune (that really just means area) I like in called Wezembeek. It's quite charming. Bisous

No comments:

Post a Comment